skyking richard russell

His conversation with controllers revealed limited experience. On LinkedIn, he wrote that he was owner/operator of Hannah Maries Bakery from 2012 through 2015 in North Bend, Oregon. The story, despite seeming near-mythic, is true. Richard Russell had a website that appears to have been for a college communications class. He was married and completing a bachelors degree. Family friend Mike Matthews read a statement from Russells family that said the incident was a complete shock to them. I think Im gonna try to do a barrel roll, and if that goes good, Im just gonna nose down and call it a night., Hannah Russell: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know. Its going to disappoint them to hear I did this, he hauntingly said before his death. Richard Russell, AKA Rich or Beebo Russell, was named as the airport mechanic who stole a Horizon plane at Sea-Tac and crashed it. Im going to disappoint them to hear that I did this. On Facebook, Rich, using the name Beebo Russell, wrote that he lived in Sumner, Washington, was from Wasilla, Alaska, and was married to Hannah Russell, who works as an assistant pastry chef and . I sure married a nice pair of calves! she joked with a photo of the couple. They wont let anyone leave the airport while hes up there. Someone plucked a bag off a conveyor belt. At one point in the dramatic audio, Richard Russell told the tower he was losing an engine. Privacy, Richard Russell Who Stole Plane Near Seattle Raises Troubling Security Questions, Richard Russell Details emerge of a compassionate man after Seattle plane heist and fiery crash, Richard Russell pilot of stolen Horizon Air plane had lighthearted tone before deadly crash, Pilot arrested after threatening to crash plane into Mississippi Walmart and eventually landing in a field, police say, Pilot threatening to crash hijacked plane into Walmart in Tupelo, Mississippi. Alaska Airlines (@AlaskaAir) August 11, 2018, People posted photos and videos to Twitter of a plume of smoke and possible crash site. Audio from the SeaTac tower reported that aircraft were lined up on the tarmac at one point. Maybe that will grease the gears a little bit with the higher-ups, he said at another point. We decided to sell and move in 2015, because we were both so far removed from our families. Mourners gathered in the comments section of his YouTube video. We are aware of an incident involving an unauthorized take-off of a Horizon Air Q400. 2:18. Monteith also recalled that Russell had been in the cockpit of an Embraer 175 with him, and that Russell asked him about his "flows, which is the preflight preparation I do for takeoff. August 10, 2021 by Kirk Forlatt. | The statement, he added, was the only one that will be released. He is flying around the airport, he does not know how to land it. Compilation of footage of the aircraft being flown erratically in the vicinity of Seattle, and the pursuing F-15s, News report featuring surveillance footage, Man Steals a Passenger Plane and Crashes it Just After Takeoff (With Real Video), Washington State University Global Campus, "National Transportation Safety Board Aviation Accident Preliminary Report Accident Number: WPR18FA220", "Update on Investigation into Unauthorized Flight", "Alaska Air Horizon plane crashes after being stolen by airline employee", "How it unfolded: Full coverage of the Horizon Air crash and the man who stole the plane from Sea-Tac", "Stolen plane was chased by military jets before it crashed", "Crash: Horizon DH8D at Ketron Island on Aug 10th 2018, stolen aircraft crashed into forest", "Stolen plane closes Seattle-Tacoma airport before crashing", "Oregon F-15s Scramble To Seattle To Intercept Possibly Stolen Q400 Airliner (Updated)", "F-15Cs Intercept Stolen DASH-8 Airliner out of Seattle Tacoma Airport Before Crash", "LIVE: Plane stolen from Sea-Tac Airport crashes on small island; no passengers on board", "Pilot wanted to do aerobatics, apologized for his actions as he spoke with air traffic control", "NORAD F-15Cs intercept suicidal pilot in dramatic chase near Seattle", "Passenger Plane Stolen by Employee Crashes on Island Near Seattle Airport", "Seattle hijacker's plane heist, midair stunts and fiery crash expose gaps in aviation security", "Richard Russell, 'Rich': 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know", "Airline worker who stole plane told air traffic control 'I don't want to hurt no one', "SeaTac Hijacker Had the Skills to Take Out a Skyscraper Horizon Air ground handler Richard Russell knew how to fly without tearing the plane apartand enough fuel to be a flying bomb. Oh- theyve probably got anti-aircraftnot quite ready to bring it down just yet. First, it would provide a simple explanation that makes the incomprehensible seem comprehensible. Its not clear how he pulled off the intense maneuvers captured on video. Tilden said that air traffic control was immediately aware that Russells take off in the aircraft was an unauthorized departure.. Facebook More information as we learn more. . Patch confirmed there was a security incident underway at SeaTac. I dont need that much help; Ive played some video games before, he told the controllers trying to help him. Preliminary info is that a mechanic from unknown airlines stole plane. I met my husband when a friend sent him over to my house to cure my hiccoughs. Oh, a purple one! Russell exclaimed. Powered by. Beck said the aerial maneuvers were "incredible" and that he "did not know how [Russell] achieved the experience that he did. No one else is thought to have been injured or killed, and the fighter jets did not fire on him, authorities said. At one point during the exchange, Russell said he knew how to put the landing gear down but that I really wasnt planning on landing it. Russel also told the controller that he was just a broken man.. Hearing Mr. Russell speak during his final hour is an emotional experience. I met Hannah in Coos Bay, Oregon in 2010 while we were both going to school, the about me section says. Live aviation audio from the tower said, at one point, that dispatchers were urging Rich Russell to try to land that airplane safely and not hurt anybody while dealing with a snarl of stalled planes on the ground. What now? Im praying for #Rich tonightnot just the guy who stole a plane from #SeaTac, but every guy like Rich who (it seemsbut Ill admit Im assuming a lot here) is suffering and cannot find a better way out. At one point, Rich asked for help in getting the cabin depressurized, complaining he was getting lightheaded. On August 10, 2018, a Horizon Air Bombardier Q400 was stolen from SeattleTacoma International Airport (SeaTac) in Seattle, Washington. Footage of Russell performing the barrel roll was captured on video by Facebook[2] user John Waldron. She foiled their plans. Authorities described him as suicidal.. In July 2022, video was released that showed Russells last moments going through security, taking off in the plane, and communicating with air traffic control. Why did I do it? I think I might mess something up there too. Russell, who worked for Horizon Air, a regional subsidiary of Alaska Airlines, flew the plane for 73 minutes before crashing it into remote Ketron Island, which has fewer than 20 residents. A lot of the people he was helping were troubled kids.. Quite a scary experience. pic.twitter.com/ziBAYv7cgn, Jimmy Thomson (@jwsthomson) August 11, 2018. Hey all! Then, it segues into a montage of photos from Russells trips to Alaska, France, Ireland, and other places before ending with a scene from a family gathering. On Facebook, Rich, using the name Beebo Russell, wrote that he lived in Sumner, Washington, was from Wasilla, Alaska, and was married to Hannah Russell, who worked as an assistant pastry chef and waitress, according to her social media account. A black family confronts a 70-year-old killing and a white mans exoneration, A Horizon Air employee described as suicidal stole an empty plane at Seattles airport and crashed it into a nearby island on Aug. 10. People expressed an emotional connection with him through postings on social media, T-shirts, and tribute songs. The crisis has engulfed the West as a whole. Audio starts with another aircraft reporting the Q400 exiting the maintenance/cargo area and taking off without clearance. Purportedly, when the arresting officers asked why he had risked his life with such a stunt, he said, A man cant just sit around., Later, he told the press, It was something I had to do. Hours prior, he posted a message on Facebook that seemed to imply he was going to commit suicide, writing, "Sorry everyone. He flew around as an air traffic controller calmly tried to reason with him. We consider ourselves bakery connoisseurs and have to try a new one every place we go. A childhood friend remarked that Beebo was loved by everyone because he was kind and gentle to each person he met. Filed under Before he took off, several people at the airport questioned what was going on. Just kind of soaring around, he told air traffic control. The incident resulted in Russell losing his life when he crashed on Ketron Island in Puget Sound, but people on sites like 4chan refused to let his story end there. After taking off, an air traffic controller said, He needs some help controlling his aircraft. Russell responded: Nah, I mean, I dont need that much help. Disclaimer: I am in no way proficient in the arts.. Would love your thoughts, please comment. [33], On November 9, the FBI stated that it had completed its investigation. The wife of an airline employee who hijacked a plane in Seattle had recorded their seven happy years of marriage on Instagram, calling him 'the man who keeps me laughing'.. Richard Russell has . They deemed Russell the Sky King inspiring an outpouring of memes in his memorial and a possible copycat this September. Listening to the audio recordings, I feel nothing but sadness for Rich, for the man who stole that plane at #SeaTac and committed suicide. Beebo was loved by everyone because he was kind and gentle to each person he met. He has buzzed Mt Rainer and the Seattle area. Other audio reported a ground stop was underway at SeaTac, the airport that services Seattle and Tacoma, Washington. Or he could have had grim plans to take his own life. In a final video that he posted to YouTube, Rich Russell showed an active life full of travel and adventure. Known as Beebo to family and friends, Russell was in his youth a gregarious, outgoing star athlete at Wasilla High School in Alaska, according to The Anchorage Daily News, running track and wrestling. Rainier, the Olympic Mountains). He was a quiet and well-liked young man who was active in his church. I don't want to. (More info in comments) 2 years ago today, Richard Russell, an airport ground service agent with no piloting experience, stole an Alaska Airlines Dash 8 and performed various stunts over the Puget Sound before crashing the plane on a sparsely populated island. They were born, they laughed, they struggled, they loved, and they died. Lee Goldberg. Public acts of violence such as mass shootings often reflect the perpetrators troubled, dark past. Tulepo Police Chief John Quaka told CNN that Patterson had "some flight instruction" but was still in training. In this season of life we enjoy exploring as much as possible, whether its a day (or so) trip to one of Alaska Airlines destinations, or visiting a new area of Washington, Russell wrote about himself and his wife online. Richard Russell: Details emerge of a compassionate man after Seattle plane heist and fiery crash. On Instagram, Hannah Russell posted recent photos with Rich. Since his famous flight, he had spent a lot of time hiking, reading the Bible, and volunteering with the Forest Service. In 2018, a Horizon Air employee, Richard Russell, stole a plane with no prior flying experience, making international headlines. As the voice recordings show, Beebos intent was not to harm anyone and he was right in saying that there are so many people who love him.. It seemed like he was well liked by the other workers. Teachers are quitting and they will have no one to run their schools, but they still won't give in and support solutions that would hurt property values. Can Humans Detect Text by AI Chatbot GPT? Normal operations at Sea-Tac Airport have resumed. In one blog, he describedaspirations to land a management job or join the military. Russell, the sole occupant during the flight, did not survive. Although investigators received information regarding Russell's background, possible stressors, and personal life, no element provided a clear motivation for Russell's actions. Rainier. Lucas added, Theyve been in contact with the culprit. I just want you to whisper sweet nothings into my ear, said Rich, who claimed he could fly the plane because he played video games. A football teammate suggested his mental instability had been caused by undiagnosed chronic traumatic encephalopathy that may have come from repeated concussions. You can listen to more archived aviation audio on the incident here, some of which captures the mans voice: READ NEXT: TikTok Influencers Son Murdered at Gas Station. So many bags, he said. He tilted the wings and rumbled low over Puget Sound. Others reported that the man had supposedly buzzed Mt. We love you bud. If he was bipolar and did that, then I dont have to worry about doing that, because Im not bipolar. That is something that they do. Rainier. A former coworker, Rick Christenson, told The Seattle Times: He was a quiet guy. I feel really bad for Richard and for his family. [20] A veteran pilot said the maneuver "seemed pretty well executed, without either stalling or pulling the wings off. Residents of the island bore some of the cost for cleaning up, and negotiations were initiated for their reimbursement by Alaska Airlines' insurers. It is impossible to encompass who he was in a press release. A fter 29-year-old airline employee Richard B. Russell stole a plane at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport on Friday night and crashed it into Ketron Island in Puget . Gary Beck, chief executive of Horizon Air, told reporters Saturday that the acrobatics and maneuvers, including barrel rolls and one loop that brought Russell feet from the waters surface, wereincredible.. Happy birthday to the man who keeps me laughing and always improves the view ? she wrote with one in 2017. He did it because he was depressed. As David Hume observed, our brains habitually seek out causation and are restless until a cause, even an erroneous cause, is determined. Im going to disappoint them to hear that I did this. (If you need help, you can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.). Russell told controllers midflight that he played video games in preparation, but it was not clear whether he meant flight simulators some of which are commercially available and depict exhaustive and realistic measures to start an aircraft. We believe there are no passengers on board. He was dubbed Sky King and tributes were offered to him. [28] It described the perpetrator, identified as 29-year-old Richard Russell,[29][30] as suicidal and said his actions did not constitute a "terrorist incident". There wasnt anything particularly wrong with them. Glenn Sullivan, Ph.D., is a professor of psychology at the Virginia Military Institute and a clinical psychologist in private practice in Lexington, Virginia. He appeared regretful about the pain he knew would inevitably visit his family. Holy smokes, Ive got to stop looking at the fuel because its going down quick.. He hoped perhaps to commission in the military after graduation. So I dont know how he achieved the experience that he did.. Failing to convince Hannah of Alaskas greatness, we settled on Sumner because of its close proximity to her family., Richard added, I, meanwhile, obtained a job working for Horizon Airlines (partnered with Alaska Airlines) so Im able to fly to Alaska at my leisure. He was a faithful husband, a loving son, and a good friend, the family said in the statement, which was read by a friend, Mike Mathews, ABC reported. Nah, Im a white guy. That last line has caused some controversy online. I would like to apologize to each and every one of them. [Im] just a broken guy, got a few screws loose, I guess. Authorities said they did not believe he had a pilots license. [25][26] No injuries were reported to residents of the sparsely populated island despite the crash site being in close proximity to at least one cabin, which was occupied at the time of the incident. Saw two fighter jets fly overhead then smoke pic.twitter.com/w0bveGUJQH, McKenna Brown (@mckenna_brown) August 11, 2018, A man named Ben Schaechter wrote on Twitter, Halfway down the runway on Alaska airlines out of Seattle and the pilot slams on the brakes and shares we must go back to the gate. It was worth it, he said, to conveniently travel to Alaska, where he grew up, to visit family. About. Monteith stated the men told him they were training to use the aircraft's auxiliary power unit so they could tow it, but said it was "suspicious" that they left when he confronted them. Rich, you said you had 2100 pounds of fuel left? the controller responded. Russell flew wild loops over Puget Sound, screamed low over frightened onlookers and had existential and, at turns, bizarre chats with air traffic controllers as two Air Force F-15 jets gave chase. We are devastated by these events and Jesus is truly the only one holding this family together right now. But he mentioned video games during his recorded conversation with air traffic control, which some have taken as a reference to flight simulator software. This video is not meant to glamorize suicide. A Port of Seattle official, Mike Pohl, said that Russell used an airport tractor to pull the parked plane onto a runway, which he would have known how to do, as part of his job in ground service was towing airplanes. [10] According to reports, Patterson called 911 from the plane and threatened to crash it into a Mississippi Walmart. They may not admit for a few days. Never really knew it, until now, Richard Russell said at one point. Some dude stole a plane from #Seatac (Allegedly), did a loop-the-loop, ALMOST crashed into #ChambersBay, then crossed in front of our party, chased by fighter jets and subsequently crashed. Its gonna be crazy, he said at one point in air traffic control transmissions. On YouTube, he also went by the name Beebo Russell. Luke Adams ? [41] They sold the bakery in 2015 so his wife could be closer to her family; they settled in Sumner, Washington, and Russell found employment with Horizon Air. Third, and perhaps most importantly, psychiatric diagnoses provide listeners with psychological distance from the victim. He went sightseeing along the Olympic mountain range. Today marks the third anniversary of the poetic death of Richard Russell, dubbed "Sky King," the young man who took an airplane for a glorious final flight. I wouldn't want to do that. [5] It was not scheduled to fly again that day. This story has been shared 110,450 times. All further inquiries should be directed to the Seattle FBI office", "Alaska Airlines: Everything We Know About the Suicidal Hijacker", "Airplane taken from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport has crashed", "Authorities probe how 'suicidal' employee could steal plane from Seattle airport", "Man who sought 'serenity' before crashing stolen plane near Seattle is identified", "Human remains, black box found from plane stolen by Seattle airport employee", "FBI Completes Investigation into August 2018 Unauthorized Flight from Seattle-Tacoma Airport", "Horizon Air Worker Who Crashed Plane Bent on Suicide, Not Terror", "Seattle: stolen plane crashes after rogue take-off from Sea-Tac airport", "Man who took Horizon Air plane from Sea-Tac Airport was quiet, well liked, says former co-worker", "Richard Russell was a jokester who complained about work, but Sea-Tac plane heist still baffles friends", "Family of man who stole plane at Sea-Tac express 'shock,' others say 'Beebo' was friendly guy", "Authorities don't believe man who stole plane had a pilot's license", "Who was Richard Russell? Facebook Richard Russell plane crash video was released. The equipment was sent to the National Transportation Safety Board for processing. Tower tracking flight and in contact. These statements should probably be considered the emotional projections of similarly disaffected people. The incident aircraft was a Bombardier Q400, owned by Horizon Air (and operating for Alaska Airlines) with the registration N449QX[2][3][4] and serial number 4410. The general feeling was, "It is a wonder that more of us don't crack from the tedium and meaninglessness of our consumer culture." On his blog, Richard talks about how he and his wife once ran a bakery. They opened a bakery and ran it for three years before selling it in 2015 to be closer to Hannahs family. As part of his job, Patterson was responsible for fuelling the aircraft. My names Richard Russell, Im 27 and currently living in Sumner, WA with my incredible wife Hannah. Russell said to dispatchers, You think if I can land this successfully, Alaska will give me a job as a pilot? and the Air Traffic Control tower said, I think they will give you a job doing anything if you pull this off. He replied, according to some sites, Yeah right! Memes about Sky King spread across the internet after the incident. This dives into the psychology and reason of why he Hi-jacked a plane and then crashed into his death. Sea-Tac airport confirmed the plane was down a short time later. Patterson did not end up flying the plane into Walmart, instead landing in a field where he was arrested. The majority of the memes are in celebration and memorial of Russell, while others are more trollish shitposts. Cast Your Vote To Select The Meme Of The Month! Excerpts taken from Mr. Ballen 's video on the Sky king.Top 3 stories that sound fake but are 100% real | Part 5:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaa53S-8lDMMr.Ballen's Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtPrkXdtCM5DACLufB9jbsAHIJACKED SEATTLE PLANE INSANE FOOTAGE, TRAFFIC CONTROL AUDIO, CRASH DAMAGE:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeYVtVg6aGs Raw: Family Press Conference For Suicidal Mechanic Who Stole Plane In Seattle:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5fFJgdhBm4Stepbrother of Richard \"Beebo\" Russell talks about stolen plane incident:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FvRMhQ44kYMusicFrom Internet Archive, Public Domain MusicThe Pachelbel Canon: by Orchestre De Chambre Jean-Franois Paillardhttps://archive.org/details/lp_the-pachelbel-canon-and-other-baroque-favo_orchestre-de-chambre-jean-franois-paillard/disc1/01.02.+Canon+In+D+For+Strings+And+Continuo.mp3Pachelbel's Canon in D:https://archive.org/details/PachelbelsCanoninD And in recordings of conversations with air traffic controllers, Russell joked and laughed, though he was at times contemplative and raw. Authorities said Russell was suicidal. I lift a lot of bags. I suspect that most of the time they want to hear some kind of post-mortem diagnosis: He was a paranoid schizophrenic. Videos of the plane being followed by two F-15 fighter jets started going viral online as the story broke. 2007-2023 Literally Media Ltd. He somehow managed to execute a barrel roll and a few other aerobatic maneuvers before crashing the aircraft onto a sparsely populated island, killing only himself. Theres something wrong with all of us. The footage shows him going through security wearing a T-shirt that says "the sky's no limit." Never actually wanted to hurt anyone. Aw man, those guys would rough me up if I tried landing there, Rich says. And part of his job was to drive the tractor that backed the aircraft into position for takeoff. Perhaps it was because the only life he seemed to have taken was his own. Richard Russell plane crash video was released. He had planned to seek a management position at Horizon Air or become a military officer after receiving his degree. [44], In the days after the crash, clean up and recovery crews contracted by Alaska Airlines and their insurers were present on the island to remove debris. Im going to disappoint them to hear that I did this. You can listen to all of his SoundCloud clips here. A pair of F-15C jets were scrambled in response to Russells flight before he crashed one hour and 15 minutes after takeoff. On August 11th, 2018, a post about the plane crash was submitted to 4chan's /pol/ board,[1] where an anonymous user replied "Sky King?" 2023 TIME USA, LLC. in correct chronological orderthis took pIace over about 75 minutes. The fighter jets were scrambled from Portland. SeaTac airport., Morgan Chesky, a reporter for KOMO News, wrote, Per JBLM source: After being contacted by F-15s, stolen plane began to nose dive, crashing in north Pierce County., NTSB investigator Debra Eckrote held a Saturday morning press conference, the day after the crash, and indicated that investigators are trying to determine what his process was and where the aircraft was going. She identified Rich as ground support so, you know, they have access to aircraft, and described it as lucky that the plane crashed on a very underpopulated island.. I was dead set against it. Their business contained a sign that read, I have loved you with an everlasting love. Russell is then seen walking into a restricted area meant for baggage handlers, getting onto a tarmac tow vehicle, and dragging the plane he was set to steal onto the runway. The video shows Russell wearing a shirt that reads The skys no limit, as he passed through security at the airport, where he worked. He was 29 years old and a member of the ground crew at the Seattle-Tacoma Airport, earning minimum wage. Then he took an Alaska Airlines plane. I have flown from Sea-Tac many times, and know the landmarks Russell mentions well (Mt. Heres hoping that the next Rich crashes on a couch of a good listener. Published | Posted Sep 24, 2018. According to Eckrote, the plane is highly fragmented and she said that a background investigation is underway to further clarify Richs motive. He then flew around the area for about an hour, speaking at times with air traffic controllers and apologizing to loved ones for what he was about to do. He worked at the airline for more than three years, authorities said. Ah, Rich, dont say stuff like that, the controller said. "What can you expect," some said, "when you take people whose great-great-grandparents were pioneers, grizzly bear hunters, and city-builders and make them baggage handlers, call center operators, and sales clerks?" 2023 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved, Patient, new father among 5 killed in medical flight crash, Medical aircraft crash in Nevada leaves 5 dead: report, 5 dead in small plane crash in Little Rock, Human error eyed as cause of Yeti Airlines crash that killed 72 people.

Peterseim Funeral Home, What Time Does Burger King Direct Deposit, Lafayette, Louisiana Mugshots, Jamie Hinchliffe Tipping Point, Articles S