alex schaefer homeland security

He has published in a number of outlets, including recent publications in Risk, Hazards, and Crisis in Public Policy, the International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters, and Housing Policy Debate. ALEJANDRO MAYORKAS: The agencies and departments across the federal government learned to share information to learn how to identify threats before they materialize. Civil rights and legal advocates told The Intercept that they had not heard previously of homeland security offices surveilling students following school fights and warned that teenagers would likely have little idea of how their information is later used. "I am considering how the HSAC can bring the greatest value to the Department and how the expertise, judgment, and counsel of its Members can be harnessed most effectively to advance the Department's mission. Historically, U.S. officials have sentsome of the few migrants who are allowed to be screened for humanitarian protection to the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, where they undergo interviews with asylum officers. In this role, Wolf is responsible for the day-to-day management and strategic direction of AFPI with a focus on setting policy goals and research priorities. Terrorism remains a global reality, and Americas ability to prevent attacks in the United States is only as strong as its weakest link at any given moment. Robert Law, Heidi Overton, MD, PhD, Kristen Ziccarelli, & Abigail Chance, The Honorable Chad Wolf and John Zadrozny, The Honorable Chad Wolf & The Honorable Pam Bondi, Robert Law, Andrew Whitaker, and Kristen Ziccarelli. Thumbs up. Director and Chief Medical Officer, Office of Health Security (acting). I used Google maps street view to find the nice chase branch there on Van Nuys blvd the night before. To KCET Schaefer described the act of setting up an easel across from a Chase Bank in Van Nuys and commencing a canvas: Once it was sketched out I started immediately with the flames. Robert Law grew up in Northern Virginia but now calls Washington, D.C., home and serves as the Director of the Center for Homeland Security and Immigration at AFPI. And we've also learned, critically, to share information with our state and local tribal territorial partners. Mr. Alex Stamos is working to improve the security and safety of the Internet through teaching and research as the Director of the Stanford Internet Observatory, a cross-disciplinary program studying the abuse of the . A cemetery posted a personal ad for a goose whose mate died. A defense lawyer for Alex Murdaugh said Thursday that authorities were so determined to convict the disgraced South Carolina attorney of killing his wife and son that they lied about or . His research interests include hazard adjustments, relocation decision-making processes, and organizational culture. I ate a big breakfast and drove out to Van Nuys in the morning to paint the Chase bank there. The department came into being in the aftermath of the 9/11 . Indiana, United States. It's really an extraordinarily moving operation and effort. While elements of the committee can be traced back into the 19th century, its modern origins began with the creation of the Committee on Expenditures in the Executive Departments on April 18, 1921. List of senior leaders at the Department. Deputy Director andDeputy Chief Medical Officer, Office of Health Security, Assistant Secretary, Office of Legislative Affairs (acting),Bryn McDonough, Deputy Assistant Secretary, Bryn McDonough (Senate), Deputy Assistant Secretary, Alexandra Carnes (House). Citizenship and Immigration Services, Commissioner, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (acting), Troy Miller, Deputy Commissioner, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (acting), Benjamine C. Huffman. Prior to his service at DHS, he spent over 10 years in the private sector helping clients manage risks and earlier in his career worked on Capitol Hill. In a statement to The Intercept, a spokesperson for the federal Department of Homeland Security said their department is not participating in social media monitoring related to PG County schools but did not deny thatit could review any data collected. Its responsibilities include everything from disaster relief to border security. a***@ice.dhs.gov. Outside of work, Glabe enjoys spending time with his wife and children. Mayorkas did not specify which third countries he was referring to in his statement. Statement of Homeland Security Secretary Mayorkas on the Family Reunification Task Force and the Successful Reunification of More Than 600 Children With Their Families. Troup Calhoun Hemenway is a native Virginian and serves as a Senior Advisor for the American Leadership Initiative at AFPI. And that was the exact word the police used when first confronting me. According to LinkedIn David Schaefer started working on 1991, then the employee has changed 2 companies and 2 jobs. Someone was threatened by my art and called them. Following the September 11 attacks, President George W. Bush established DHS by signing the Homeland Security Act of 2002. I saw what happened with "chalk walk" at the last DTLA art walk and was bothered by what I felt was a waste of protest and a media disaster. The first thing a parent said to me when I brought this up was, Well, you know this might sound scary, but if people werent involved in those fights, then theyve got nothing to worry about, Greene told The Intercept. Professional Staff Member, Committee on Homeland Security U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Homeland Security May 2015 - Mar 2018 2 years 11 months Home; About. Looking for U.S. government information and services? How was it alike or different than preparing for the paintings? MAYORKAS: We do think it is. Goldson responded by writing that the district would review its actions to ensure that they were in compliance with the 2019 ordinance and that it is thedistricts desire and intent to follow the laws expectations and guidelines. Moise was killed and his wife injured during an attack to their home in the nation's capital on Wednesday. We screen, and we ensure that the individuals who are coming to the United States do not seek to do us harm. Presentation The role of the DHS Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Zemek l. He enjoys coaching the sports teams of his three sons. I don't want to get arrested for chalking on 5th and Spring at 9:30pm on ArtWalk, I want to get arrested exactly where and when I did, in front of a bank at lunchtime on a Monday and I'm going to bring a crew and document it and put it on YouTube and let thousands of people see it. Our "America First" approach requires an immigration system that prioritizes border security and the value of citizenship, a strong and persistent counter . An official website of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. NPR's Scott Simon speaks to Alejandro Mayorkas Secretary for Homeland Security, about the state of the nation's security and the efficacy of resource allocation in the effort. Before he could even finish his work,police officers arrived on the scene, asked him for his information, and asked if he was planning to follow through on the scenes he had inscribed on canvas. Director, Federal Protective Service (FPS), Kris Cline. Director, Federal Protective Service (FPS), Deputy Under Secretary, Kathryn Coulter Mitchell. A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States. Facebook gives people the power to. Chief Security Officer, Richard D. McComb. An official website of the United States government. Administrator, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Deputy Administrator for Resilience (vacant), Victoria Salinas, Senior Official Performing the Duties of the Deputy Administrator for Resilience, U.S. Fire Administrator, Dr. Lori L. Moore-Merrell. Its responsibilities include . instagram These programs purport to help identify potential future shooters, she said, but they have been of dubious quality and invariably capture loads of irrelevant information in their pursuit for red flags. In L.A., the Wells Fargo and B of A banks are majority really crappy ugly buildings, but Chase bought [Washington Mutual] and WAMU bought Home Savings, and all the Home Savings buildings were classic pieces of architecture designed the Millard Sheets company. This warrantless, dragnet surveillance of minors is a clear violation of their civil rights and is an immediate threat to undocumented students and students with undocumented family members, wrote Daniel Greene, a Prince Georges County parent, in an email toBoard of EducationCEO Monica Goldson and 13 board members. Naturally, the police have taken an interest in a painter who enjoys depicting what might be considered felonies. He also serves as President and Founder of Wolf Global Advisors. Public Media Group of Southern California is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.Tax ID: 95-2211661, 2022 - Public Media Group of Southern California. Enhancing the nations cybersecurity resilience is a top priority for DHS. In the early 1990s, thousands of asylum-seekers were detained inside the base, which includeda notorious camp for those diagnosed with HIV, who were banned from entering the U.S. at the time. Alex Murdaugh sentenced to life in prison for murders of wife and son, Biden had cancerous skin lesion removed last month, doctor says, White supremacist and Holocaust denier Nick Fuentes kicked out of CPAC, Tom Sizemore, actor known for "Saving Private Ryan" and "Heat," dies at 61, Biden team readies new advisory panel ahead of expected reelection bid, House Democrats unhappy with White House handling of D.C.'s new criminal code, Vast majority of U.S. homes are unaffordable to the average buyer. Representatives for the State Department did not respond to a request for comment. In some cases, these threats are sponsored or shielded by foreign governments; in some cases, they are foreign governments. Domestic law allows migrants to request asylum once they reach U.S. soil. Webinar Agenda I. I feel that when I'm talking with them they understand where I'm coming from and frankly agree with me, as do most Americans. Van Nuys While these threats are omnipresent, courageous leadership at all levels of government and society is essential for success and security. twitter Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites. That was the first paint that I put on the canvas. That was the first paint that I put on the canvas. Bratton, Tandy and Webster are the only three members still listed on the HSAC website. 11/26/2022 11:36 PM. SMS opt in will not be sold, rented, or shared. A Department of Homeland Security spokesperson said the State Department is in charge of third country referrals. Before DHS, Zemek was served as Chief of Staff for the Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security. The chalking was less 'art' more 'protest'. Turn on desktop notifications for breaking stories about interest? As the world has evolved into a place of constant surveillance - where security cameras, cell phone photos, Facebook tags, and Instagrams document your every move - Shaffer's work examines how the act of looking, the gaze, has become a threat. Message and data rates may apply. A two-year bipartisan Senate investigation released in 2012 concluded that fusion centers had yielded little, if any, benefit to federal counterterrorism intelligence efforts and often collected intelligence of uneven quality oftentimes shoddy, rarely timely, sometimes endangering citizens civil liberties and Privacy Act protections. In 2020, The Intercept reported that fusion centers were being used to monitor racial justice organizers and Black Lives Matter protests. What role does a police presence play in your public works, like the bank paintings and the street chalk drawings? This includes mitigating the most significant cyber risks to the countrys National Critical Functions; managing the regulatory chemical facility security program; assisting statewide emergency communications planning; engaging state and local officials to enhance election security; protecting the supply chain during the COVID-19 pandemic; and coordinating critical infrastructure efforts for special events such as the Indianapolis 500, Chicago Marathon, Democratic National Convention, and Republican National Convention. Wilshire Boulevard Collegeville, PA. We provide assessments, planning, and training to churches and houses of worship to help them mitigate risk and . Ranking member on the House Homeland Security Committee John Katko, R-N.Y., slammed the action. In late October, after a series of student fights broke out at public schools in Prince Georges County, school district officials informed parents in the predominantly Black suburb of Washington, D.C., that they were taking steps to respond. A perfect day to honor an American artist who paints images that disturb the 1%. In May, the last month with available statistics, 2,800 Haitians and 2,600 Cubans were encountered along the southern border. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Ranking member on the House Homeland Security Committee John Katko, R-N.Y., slammed the action. We're moving them to military facilities if they do not already have family and friends here in the United States. It's [gotten] almost 26000 views and going to keep rising, especially as myinterview with Max. He also practiced at two large law firms, clerked for a federal appellate judge, and served in the U.S. Navy Reserve. Secure .gov websites use HTTPS He enjoys coaching the sports teams of his three sons. If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there does it make a sound? SCOTT SIMON, HOST: Since the Department of Homeland Security was created, it has grown to become the third-largest cabinet department in the U.S. government. Text STOP to opt-out or HELP for help. Deputy Director, U.S. What was going through your mind? ", Now More Than Ever: The Need for Alternative Cultural Spaces, Stretching Out into the Community: Five Key Watts Artists WhoHelped Shape American Art, As If I was Carrying a Gun: Art and Surveillance in 1960s Watts. The struggle of today, is not altogether for today it is for a vast future also. The event, hosted by Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas, will feature performances and special guests, the agency said. He was a member of the Presidential Transition Team and the Trump campaign policy team. In this Monday, March 1, 2021 file photo, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas speaks during a press briefing at the White House in Washington. Then we are addressing their immediate needs with providing them with food, water, counseling, COVID testing, vaccination. I chose the bank strictly because they had the most interesting buildings. The spokesperson wrote that the state-operated fusion centers exist for the receipt, analysis, gathering and sharing of threat-related information between federal, state, local, tribal, territorial, and private sector partners.. My favorite examples of his art, however, are free of commentaryjust the burning Chase Banks, thats plenty for me. There, in front of a Van Nuys Chase bank, he began painting bursts of flames rising from the building. Greene, who studies technology and surveillance as an assistant professor at the University of Maryland, knows from his professional work how federal agencies can leverage the data they collect through surveillance. "Allow me to be clear: if you take to the sea, you will not come to the United States," Mayorkas said, highlighting the dangers of traversing the Caribbean Sea and the Florida Straits by boat. Prior to his federal career, he was an attorney in private sector practice. "While these members serve at the pleasure of the Secretary, today's action sends the message that this Administration has no intention of upholding a bipartisan, unifying approach to securing our homeland," Katko said. Alex Zuchman is a Resident Agent In Charge at Department of Homeland Security based in Washington, District of Columbia. One startling image shows an actual lynch mob. I dont believe federal anti-terror and anti-immigration surveillance is in any way suited to the task of settling fights among minors, he wrote. Assistant Secretary for International Affairs, Assistant Secretary for Trade and Economic Security (acting), Bridget McGovern. Three hours into it the police came and the rest is history. View the profiles of people named Alex Schaefer. Given how central social media is to young peoples lives, protecting peoples social media posts and protecting kids from state surveillance is extremely important, said Vera Eidelman, an American Civil Liberties Union staff attorney focused on protecting free speech online. As a senior executive in the private sector, Zemek led the strategy, policy, and congressional affairs disciplines for the non-profit National Defense Industrial Association while serving as Vice President. In the wake of his much-publicized arrest yesterday for chalking outside a Chase Bank at Sixth Street and Figueroa downtown, L.A. artist Alex Schaefer revealed details of a lengthy 12 hours. For more information about an individual listed, including a biography, click on their name. All has been handled, wrote Timothy Gover, a school security official, in an email reviewed by The Intercept. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. And now, over the last few years, we've seen the rise of the domestic violent extremist drawn to violence because of an ideology of hate. Previously, Zemek served at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as Assistant Secretary (acting) for Counterterrorism and Threat Prevention, where he oversaw strategy and policy related to combating violent extremists, aviation security, international information sharing, and identity management. Sign upfor our newsletter to get unique arts & culture stories and videos from across Southern California in your inbox. He has received the U.S. Secretary of Transportation 9/11 Medal, the U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Distinguished Service Medal, and the National Intelligence Distinguished Service Medal. For decades, the U.S. government has been turning back the vast majority of migrants encountered at sea. Greene raised concerns that the districts practices were in violation of the 2019 ordinance barring cooperation with ICE and said that he would be filingFreedom of Information Act requests for more information. Dr. Greer earned his Ph.D. in Disaster Science and Management from the University of Delaware, where he worked as a research assistant at the Disaster Research Center. From 2017 to 2021, he served in the Trump Administration as a senior policy advisor and chief of policy at U.S. Individuals, typically Black and Latino men, are frequently added to these police databases for trivial matters like standing on certain street corners, having particular tattoos, or meeting with someone suspected to be in a gang. @DHSgov. I suspect it was someone from the bank that notified authorities that they are threatened by my painting. By checking the opt in box, you consent to receive recurring SMS/MMS messages. Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman. Prince Georges County Council Member Deni Taveras, the lead sponsor of the legislation barring cooperation with ICE, did not return a request for comment. Someone was "threatened" by my art and called them. 2 men found drugged after leaving NYC gay bars were killed, medical examiner says. People fleeing Cuba and Haiti by boat will not be allowed to enter the U.S., even if they demonstrate fear of being persecuted or tortured in their home countries, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas warned on Tuesday. The reaction of everyone who commented was positive. Los Feliz July 13, 2021 / 9:08 PM Mr. Alex Stamos. Trump's former acting DHS secretary, Chad Wolf, who appointed some of the members, tweeted that it was a mistake as well. With footage of some fights circulating online, Gover added, Also reached out to A/Sgt Tilus of Homeland Security and they are going to attempt to monitor social media in ref to the Suitland and Wise, two high schools where fights had recently taken place. During his time at DHS, he successfully navigated numerous global and domestic challenges to the nations security, including COVID-19, civil unrest, numerous border and immigration crises, historic natural disasters, and threats to global aviation security. In response, federal and local law enforcement enacted counterinsurgency programs that infiltrated and co-opted Black arts and culture institutions and surveilled and targeted activists, artists and community member, the Home Savings buildings were classic pieces of architecture designed the Millard Sheets company, Every passer by understood my message and I got all "likes. I know my intentions are protestful but peaceful and I'm not going to be confrontational to an officer. With plein air painting in an urban environment, there is always a nervous feeling that comes with it because there are people watching you, talking to you, and, in essence, you are onstage performing your art with people looking at you and judging you. Once youre in a database, are you forever flagged as being suspicious?, Eight days after this story was published, Prince Georges County Police Department spokespersonChristina Cottermanwrote in an email that her departments Homeland Security division is responsible for investigating all non-specific threats of mass violence and bomb threats. Secure .gov websites use HTTPS "While I respect the right for a DHS Secretary to alter the HSAC to address their needs, dismissing the entire council outright and stopping a lot of important work (that was underway) is not the right approach," Wolf wrote. You can see the full set of Schaefers anti-bank paintings here. Citizenship and Immigration Services within the Department of Homeland Security. Its far from being this thing where youre looking for one bad kid.. CIST 678 Internship in Information Science, CINF 710 Research Design in Information Science, Hazard Adjustments;Relocation Decision-Making Processes;Organizational Culture, facebook An official website of the United States government. He spent 12 hours in jail for vandalism. While I sat in jail for 12 hours, they worked on the edit the same amount of time and then sent the file to Max Keiser and he first posted it on the internet. I was not casing the location. A Department of Homeland Security flag flies at the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement headquarters in Washington, D.C., on July 6, 2018. on about your day, ask yourself: How likely is it that the story you just read would have been produced by a different news outlet if The Intercept hadnt done it? The kind of reporting we do is essential to democracy, but it is not easy, cheap, or profitable. On average, David Schaefer works for one company for 26 years 9 months. PhD, Disaster Science and Management, University of Delaware, MS, Disaster Science and Management, University of Delaware, BS, Sociology & Geology (Honors), East Tennessee State University. You know, Scott, the evolution of the threat doesn't mean that the prior iterations have disappeared, but we've just seen a different threat rise to prominence over time. Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary, Communications, Deputy Assistant Secretary, Strategic Communications, Jeff Solnet. The internet is an incredible way to spread protest, to create sparks of outrage in people hearts. via Boing Boing. Mayorkas said the U.S. has so far not detected a "surge" in maritime interdictions of Cubans and Haitians. Art Threat: Alex Schaefer's Plein Air Protests. Sunset & Vine The United States Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs is a standing committee of the U.S. Senate. We use ads to keep our content free for you. Zemek has degrees from Yale University and the National Defense University and conducted advanced studies with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Its even more pernicious for kids who tend to say any number of really strongly felt things in the moment.. Before DHS, Zemek was served as Chief of Staff for the Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security. How long does this data even follow a kid around? The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood .. Accuracy and availability may vary. 24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events. That's who we are. You can view our Privacy Policy and Mobile Terms of Service here. Tilus referred The Intercept to the police department press team, which did not return requests for comment. Nina Hagens Nunsexmonkrock: Greatest (and weirdest) unsung masterpiece of the postpunk era? Wolf has written and speaks frequently on national security, border security, immigration, China, counterterrorism issues. I was nervous driving out that morning more than usual. Director, Office of Homeland Security Situational Awareness, Chief Freedom of Information Officer (acting),Mason Clutter, Chief Privacy Officer (acting), Mason Clutter. Deputy Director, Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers, Director, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)(vacant), Tae D. Johnson,Senior Official Performing the Duties of the Director, ICE, Deputy Director (acting), Patrick J. Lechleitner. I was going to protest on any old day, not "art walk" or some cool day like that, do it at lunchtime and do it in front of a bank, which is the focus of my protest. . Threats that strike at the heart of our infrastructureand, therefore, our civilizationcan be achieved with the touch of a button from anywhere in the world. He is also the founder and president of The Gethsemane Group. SIMON: What about cyberwarfare? Copyright 2023 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. But it was the casual reference to Homeland Security that stood out. He held leadership positions across DHS with the Principal Federal Official Program, Special Events Working Group, Office of Operations Coordination, Counterterrorism Advisory Board, National Terrorism Advisory System, National Infrastructure Coordinating Center, Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards, and the Office of Infrastructure Protection.

Exchanging Information In Business Communication, Articles A